Though I’m more of a college football fan than the NFL, I still find myself getting into the Superbowl every year, even if I accidentally scream, “GO BLUE!” (Univ. Michigan alumni shout out!) With the big game day fast approaching, I’ve been attempting to plan out a healthier menu that still tastes indulgent. I wanted to move away from the traditional cheesy dips and salsas that everyone expects and do something in the veggie dip realm, but without the dairy. Eggplant is a totally unexpected ingredient when it comes to the Superbowl, but this Eggplant Caponata is full of big and fresh flavors that will knock out the competition–even if it’s just a side dish. I paired this with easy toasted brown rice tortilla chips.
Roasted Eggplant Caponata
This recipe is free of: Gluten, Soy, Dairy, Peanuts, Legumes, Yeast, Corn, Eggs, and Sugar.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 cup chopped or sliced black olives
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced (chiffonade)
- Salt, Pepper, Red pepper flakes
- Optional: Sun-dried Tomatoes
- Optional: 1/3 cup roasted chopped walnuts, or pine nuts. (If you’re allergic to tree nuts, try sunflower seeds).
- Brown Rice Tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the whole eggplant with olive oil and roast for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let the eggplant cool slightly, then peel off the outer skin.
- In a food processor, lightly pulse the inside of the eggplant. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic and olive oil with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. Once onions are mostly translucent (about 5 or 6 minutes), remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Combine the eggplant, onions and garlic, olives, and fresh basil. Top with roasted walnuts (or sunflower seeds) and some sun-dried tomatoes (optional).
- Break some brown rice tortillas into equal triangles by folding them twice down the center and toast in the oven at 450 degrees F for 5 – 10 minutes, until crispy like chips. Serve with the Caponata dip.